“The whole thing is a terrible, impractical idea, and that seems in the family spirit.”
Some other facts about Josephine Baker (Freda Josephine McDonald)
- She first married at the age of 13
- She danced alongside Ethel Waters at the Plantation Club in New York City
- She tried to bring her career to America in 1936 but the racism forced her back to France
- She was a member of the Free French forces during WWII
- She also worked for the French Resistance during WWII. She smuggled messages in her underwear and music sheets.
- She was awarded the Croix de Guerre and the Legion of Honour for her work with the French military
- She was married 4 times
- She adopted 12 children from around the world
- She attended the March on Washington and was one of the speaker’s
- In 1973 she finally got to perform at Carnegie Hall in NYC
- Princess Grace of Monaco was a friend of Josephine Baker
- Josephine Baker died in her sleep of a cerebral hemorrhage on April 12, 1975 at the age of 69
- Over 20,000 people attended her funeral procession in Paris
- May 20th is Josephine Baker Day as declared by the NAACP because of her Civil Rights work
How fucked up is the entire concept of The Parent Trap? These parents have twins but want a divorce so they decide their best course of action is to just each take one and never speak to each other again.
Hugging shorter people and resting your head on theirs
Hugging taller people and having your head against their chest
Hugging people your height and pressing your face against their shoulder
Hugging people and getting picked up by them
Not having people to hug
Giving a hug that comes off as weird
This post describes me in every way
Big news! In one week we’ll be holding the first-ever books.tumblr.com cover reveal! Check back next Monday, August 4, for the exclusive debut of the cover for Nova Ren Suma’s new YA novel The Walls Around Us.
We’re hearing lots of great buzz about this new one from the author of Imaginary Girls and 17 & Gone. It’s a ghostly story of suspense involving a young dancer and a girls’ juvenile detention center—just think of it as “Orange Is the New Black Swan.”
YES THIS IS HAPPENING THIS IS MY BOOK WHAT!! Tumblr Books is going to reveal my new book cover next week… and oh, oh, I love this cover, I can’t wait to show you. Stay tuned August 4 for the cover of THE WALLS AROUND US!
I love this and cannot wait to see this cover (and read this book!)
If you haven’t read Nova’s books, fix that STAT. She’s easily the Shirley Jackson of YA.